Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My dearest children, grandchildren, beloved family, trusted neighbor, wonderful friends and anyone interested to read.
Hello, Allooo, Shalom, and Happy New Year.
I got up early and decided to write my last Blog for 2015. 
Don't know from where to begin, life in Israel can not be imagine. The last few days
are a mix of reality show, soap opera, thriller movie, and a far out ferry tale. In
the last two days, Israel stood on it's heels. Among all the news, I am unable to write in one "short" letter, is the conviction of the past Prim Minister of Israel, Ehud Olmart. A story of, bribery, money laundry, deceiving, that was going on for years. All connected to a monstrosity complex building on top of a Jerusalem hill, name Holyland. ( my opinion: not Holy at all, just ugly, built against environmental and architectural suggestions.)
For the first time, in Israel, a prim minister will be serving jail time.
But, what is most special to this country, are the group of five Upper Court judges, who deliver the verdict. The "Av Bet Din", the presiding Judge, name Salim Ghubran, is an Arab Israeli judge. Now, this you will not hear in Europe, or America, were critiques of the state of Israel, are rampaging. Talks of Apartheid and the need for BDS are ringing from their Parliament houses. 
Where is the Apartheid ??  
I will not tire you with the sex scandals going on, or the trails and tribulation of Sarah Netanyahu, wife of Benjamin. (Bibi.) Those stories, juicy as they are, are the daily injection of laughter for me. 
I visited my beloved Karmel Market (Shook HaKarmel), the other day. Literally, it was difficult to navigate in the narrow street. I was able to detect tourist, locals, and most impressive, two groups of young people visiting Israel for the first time 
with "Taglit" (discovery). I had the opportunity to speak with a young girl from NYC,
first time traveler, with a group of 136 youngsters from all over north America. The group, accompanied by five security people, young guys, past combat soldiers from the Israeli Army. This is life now, I feel most comfortable, when I see soldiers with guns on the bus, on the train, on the street and in the market.
My "Magi-Mix", (food processor) story. 
I love to prepare my own Humus-Tahini. Without a food processor it is practically impossible to achieve the smooth texture. Was suggested by all the "Mavins" in Israel to get a Mini Magi-Mix. looking in my neighborhood, I could not find one. So, one goes to the big mall in Tel-Aviv at the Dizengoff Center.  Bingo!  In the beautiful housewares store I found my mini processor. 275 Shekel (= $72) and it could be mine. The only thing that held me from buying was the large, On/Off  Red button on the top of the machine. Did not match my Blue decor in my kitchen. You would think I am going to wear it....  I decided to further look, after all, I don't need to wear it for the next Bar-Mitzva I am invited.
Yesterday, I was visiting the south part of Alenby street in Tel-Aviv, my past life neighborhood. Looking in windows just for fun, I notice a small store packed to the
tilt with boxes of all sizes containing electric appliances. I ask the shopkeeper for my "Mini", and in a second the box was in front of me. Magic of Magic, my Megi-Mix was in front of me. Same thing as the one from yesterday, identical twin,  with a Silver Button. The price: 100 Shekels (= $26)......I think I will wear it to my next Bar-Mitzvah invitation........
Only in Israel. 
Again, I wish you all, a happy and a healthy new year. Don't drink and drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment